Hydrangea placement - Knowledgebase Question

Newark, Oh
Question by celtic56dlk
I have a hydrangea plant that is fairly large, planted in full sun, beautiful leaves each year but no flowers. I didnt cut back this year. It was transplanted 5 years ago and no blooms since. Whats my solution!?

0

Sounds like it's in the right garden spot. If it was blooming when you purchased it but hasn't bloomed since, it may be the wrong cultivar for your growing region. Big leaf hydrangeas produce flowers on new shoots which develop on old wood. If your hydrangea dies down to the ground during the winter months, or if you prune them all the way down, there will be no old wood from which new flowering shoots can develop. They may never bloom for you! Endless Summer hydrangeas bloom on either new or old wood so even if they die down to ground level every year you will still get loads of blooms. You may need to replace your hydrangea with one that blooms on new wood.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"