Arbor vines - Knowledgebase Question

Newark, Oh
Question by celtic56dlk
Zone 3-6 I have an arbor that is situated on the east side of the house. I have tried clinbing roses and trumpet vine and cant seem to grow anything on the arbor....any suggestions!?

0

If the trellis is on the east side I'm guessing it only gets morning sunshine. If so, roses won't be happy. Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangeaanomala petiolaris)attaches to structures with root-like holdfasts and has glossy dark green foliage all summer long and white flowers in early-to-mid summer. This clinging vine is slow to establish but well worth the effort, and it grows in part sun. Other suggestions - clematis and jasmine.

Or, you might try an annual vine.

Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit), another twining vine,is covered by finely cut medium green leaves with delicate red trumpet flowers that hummingbirds just love.

Purple Hyacinth Bean (Lablab purpureus) is a twining climber that may take a month to bloom but is well worth the wait. Its dark purple bronze foliage sets the backdrop for the bright purple flowers. The flower spikes are bright purple; as they age the flowers start to turn light purple to almost white.

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus cossineus), a twining, fast growing vine, has clusters of red flowers and produces edible beans.

Best wishes with your new plant!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"