urine spots - Knowledgebase Question

Colorado Springs, Co
Question by mawboyce
I have a small dog that makes urine spots on my pretty green lawn. How can I make those spots green again?

0

Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into the area. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. There's no way to avoid the brown areas if you have a dog, other than training him/her to go elsewhere. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"