fertilizer+moss - Knowledgebase Question

Quincy, Ma
Question by mmarbil18
Should I fertilize now ?
What can I do about Moss ?

0

Moss thrives when conditions favor its growth. Too much shade, compacted soil, poor fertility, poor drainage, and low pH all contribute to moss in lawns. If you can correct all (or most) of these problems, you'll have less moss in the lawn. I'd skip the moss killer. It will kill the moss, but you'll need to change conditions or it will come right back. You can feed your lawn now or wait until April, and if you put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule, mow frequently, and water as needed, the grass grow lush and thick enough to crowd out any moss. Feed in April, June, September, and the last week of November with a 3-1-2 ratio of complete fertilizer (21-7-14 is a good choice). You may want to have the soil tested because it is likely your soil pH is too low. If that proves true, you'll be advised to add lime. Fall is the best time add lime, but anytime is okay. Following the above guidelines for a healthy lawn should greatly reduce the amount of moss you find in your yard.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "