Starting a shade garden - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by softball17
I going to create a garden in the front of my house, the only problem is the area dose not get a lot of sun. Maybe a few hours in the early morning. Any suggetions on what to plant? I notice most of the shade plants don't have much color. Do any flowering plants do well in the shade?

0

The evergreen groundcover epimedium thrives in shade and this one is a tidy clumper, good for squeezing into crowded gardens. Its flowers are a combination of purple and white, and the new spring foliage is becomingly flushed with red. Cornus canadensis (unalaschkensis) Bunchberry; Partial to full shade, humus-rich soil. Spring flowers; bright red berries in summer. Grows 2"-10". Gaultheria ovatifolia (Slender Wintergreen); Adaptable, best in moist shade and acid soil. Flowers in late spring to summer. Evergreen. 4?8" tall. Linnaea borealis (Twinflower) Partial to full shade. Late spring flowers. Low (1") evergreen. Spreads readily by stolons. False Lily-of-the-Valley; Moist shade to partial shade. Spring flowers. Plant only where you want it to spread! 3? 12" Oxalis oregona (Wood Sorrel) Wet or dry shade. Spring/summer flowers. 2? 6" Vancouveria hexandra (Inside-out Flower) grows in sun to shade; flowers in spring. 4? 16" Adiantum pedatum (aleuticum), called Maidenhair Fern. Grows best in moist shade. Deciduous. Delicate, lacy fronds. 12?30" For bright color, try coleus and caladiums - both thrive in shade. Hope one of these plants is just right for your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"