Ornamental Grasses in a Planter - Knowledgebase Question

savannah, ga
Question by geoffturner7
I am planning on trying to plant a 2-4' ornamental grass in a planter across my fence for shade and privacy. What grass would fit that height requirement and is durable enough to grow well in a planter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Some grasses to consider include:
Feather Reed Grass, Calamagrostis arundinacea, forms distinctly upright 3 foot clumps which bloom with upright flower spikes in early summer.

Upland Sea Oats or River Oats, Chasmanthium latifolium, grows to 3 feet with very attractive panicles resembling true sea oats of the beach dunes. They tolerate both wet feet and dry soils, making them very versatile.

Blue Lyme Grass, Elymus glaucus, grows to 3 feet with medium textured blue foliage. Plumes are somewhat inconspicuous as they emerge green in early summer and quickly dry to straw color.

Fountain Grass, Pennisetum setaceum, grows 3 feet with a 4 foot spread and has typical green foliage with rose colored plumes. (Annual)

Dwarf Fountain Grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides, forms dense 2 to 3 foot clumps and is often confused with annual fountain grass. Plumes appear in midsummer and fade from rose-brown to deep straw color. Diminutive cultivars usually require a little extra water and fertilizer for good plant performance.

All of these grasses grow well in Georgia and all should be happy in your planter. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"