Jatropha turning orange - Knowledgebase Question

North Miami Beach, Fl
Question by flb127
I have 5 Jatropha that were always the greenest in my garden, Now, the leaves are all turning orange and dying.Live in Miami,FL. Help

There are no pests or diseases associated with Jatropha integerrima so the problem is either cultural or environmental. Water stress can cause the symptoms you describe but the leaves have been known to turn a reddish orange when subjected to cold temperatues. Since all of the plants are affected, I suspect it's weather related but it might also be that all 5 were accidentally damaged by herbicides that entered the root systems. Weed killer on the lawn, perhaps? I am sorry I cannot diagnose the problem for you. I'd continue to give them good care. If the damage is weather related they will probably recover and new foliage will develop. I hope they recover soon - it would be a shame to lose them!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"