Wild Cherry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Gainesville, Fl
Question by ilike2mow
In my backyard, there is a wild cherry tree that has grown leaning over, I was going to root a branch of it but I need some advice on rooting it. I would then plant it in my yard to have a nice healthy Cherry tree. Would I use Rooting Hormone?

You can grow a wild cherry tree by simply planting a cherry pit. Birds do it all the time! But there are other ways of propagation. The easiest is a process called layering and works with shrubs and trees with long branches that reach the ground. If you can find such a branch you can make a nick or cut in the lower side of the branch and anchor it down so it touches the soil. You can use pieces of wire to staple it down or you can lay a brick or two on the branch to keep it in contact with the ground. Bury the nicked part of the branch in the soil and cover with a brick. It will develop roots at the site of the injury and you can then cut it from the parent plant and plant it in another part of the garden. Or you can take tip cuttings of semi-hard wood. Choose new growth that is just begining to become hard on the outside. You should be able to bend it but not break it. Cut a 6-8 inch long piece and remove the lower leaves but allow the top leaves to remain. Dip the cut end in rooting hormone and set it in a container of moist potting soil. Keep the potting soil moist but not soggy wet. When it has developed roots it will begin to grow taller and develop new leaves. When that happens you can plant it in your garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"