Follow-up Queen Palm planting question - Knowledgebase Question

North Hollywood, Ca
Question by tgearhart
In your reply which states make the planting hole slightly wider than the container - However the tag says; dig it twice as wide. This beast is in a 24 inch crate! Thank - you, Tom

I suspect the planting instructions are to make sure the soil is loose enough for good root penetration. In North Hollywood your soil tends to be on the sandy side which will make for good root penetration. I generally just roughen up the sides of the hole to encourage root penetration. If you dig the hole twice as wide you'll have difficulty tamping the soil in around the roots to make a snug fit and there might be excessive movement of the palm in a high wind if the soil is too loose. It's your palm, so you'll have to decide, but at least I've given you the pros and cons of digging an excessively wide hole!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"