Additional Clematis Questions - Knowledgebase Question

Bridgeton, Mi
Question by hcook17
I was able to find the name of the clematis I have in my yard. They are sunset, carnaby and gypsy queen. For each of these, when (time of year) do I prune them and where on the vine? Right now they are all brown and look dead. Thanks!

Carnaby and Sunset Clematis is in pruning group B, Gypsy Queen is a late bloomer and is in pruning group C.

Group B includes the large flowered hybrids that start to flower in May and June. It includes some of the best known varieties of Clematis. These clematis flower on stems made in the previous season. from these stems, they sen out new shoots which will bear flowers through May until Mid summer. If this group is cut back hard in the spring, then you will be pruning off last season's stems - Result = no or very few flowers. For these, wait until after they have flowered to prune them back. Prune to keep them under control, shortening the stems and removing some of the excess viney growth.

Group C includes the late blooming clematis. These flower on growth made in the current year - not in the previous year like the first group. They are normally cut back quite hard in February or early March. Cut back to a pair of healthy buds which will just be starting into growth in a normal February. This hard cut-back will invigorate the plant and result in good strong new growth (Which will flower later into the summer.)

This group should be pruned back to within a 12in of the ground each February/March. This will remove all of the previous season's growths and stems. You will be left with a few stumps of the old stems, but don't worry. the plant will put out lots of new growth within a month or so of pruning.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"