white flies - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Jennifer Valverde
Gilbert, Ar
Question by jennmama22
I just planted my garden yesterday and now we already have lots of white flies. We planted marigold seeds around the bed, but since they have not bloomed they will be of little help. I prefer to keep it organic and hope to be able to save my garden. Thank you for your help.

I can't believe they've found your garden already!! Whitefly are attracted to the yellow color of sticky traps. You can make your own by coloring or painting index cards a bright yellow and smearing them with petroleum jelly or TangleFoot. For best results, hang or place the cards close to the top of the plant. I just use ice cream sticks, staple the traps to the sticks and set the sticks in the ground next to the plants. Or you may have to resort to using sprays. Sprays containing pyrethrum or neem give the best control for organic growers. BioNeem or Bonide Eight Vegetable, Fruit & Flower are two products to look for. Both the surface & the underside of the leaf need to be covered and you'll need to make repeat treatments. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"