Small space - Knowledgebase Question

District Heights, Ma
Question by jjones7087
I have a small space with bad soil making it difficult for grass to grow. I am interested in planting soil and adding several floral enhancements. The soil is really bad and in speaking with my neighbors, it took them several years to grow grass in their back yard which is a small space. Please help!

0

You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your annuals or perennials and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"