Hosta seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Columbus, Oh
Question by gsfrosty
When should I start my Hosta seeds? Should they be sown inside first, then planted outdoors later?

Growing hosta seed is a simple procedure. Hosta seed sprout nicely indoors, under normal house conditions, with temperatures running 60? to 70?F (20?C). It is important that the potting soil/seed starting mix and flats or containers be sterile. Sow the seeds just on the top of the soil and cover with only one-eighth of an inch of potting soil. Keep the seedbed moist but not soggy wet. Hosta seeds you've collected yourself will probably have only about an 80% germination rate. Germination time for hosta seed will be about two weeks. Hosta seed does not require light to assist sprouting; therefore, you can place your flats in a warm, dark area of your house. When you see sprouts showing and breaking the soil surface, place the containers under fluorescent lights.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"