Orange Diseases - Knowledgebase Question

Honolulu, Ha
Question by tanakajason
My orange tee is very young (2 and a 1/2 feet), and it seems to have a disease. First the leaves drooped, and turned brown. Then they fell off. Finally, the branch turned brown. What disease is this?

Orange and other citrus trees are subject to a great number of fungal diseases affecting the roots, the trunk and branches, the foliage and the fruits. I can't tell for sure without inspecting the tree but the most common problem with young trees is blight, or young tree decline (YTD). Blight is thought to be the result of nutritional deficiencies or physiological or soil problems. Feeding your tree with a citrus fertilizer and making sure the soil drains well are good first steps. Citruses require ample water so don't forget to water your tree deeply once or twice a week. Wish I had more to share!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"