pitcher plant, nepenthes - Knowledgebase Question

Diamond Bar, Ca
Question by billorgeorgi
I bought a pitcher plant about amonth ago at the Chino Hills store. It has lost its pitchers but has new growth. I have it hanging with light from windows & skylight. I have a vicks humidifer. How long do the pitchers last? Am I taking care of it right?

0

Since your plant is new to you, we don't know how old the pitchers were and whether they died because they dried out or died from old age. The pitchers should have water in them at all times. If it evaporates or is dumped out, the pitchers themselves will die so when your plant develops more pitchers, be sure to keep them filled with water. Those pitchers that have died can be cut off the plant. Moist soil and high humidity are what makes your plant healthy and happy. Sounds as though you are doing everything right, but if your plant fails to make new pitchers it means the humidity is too low.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"