Dying bannana tree. - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Mimi Lilly
Port Saint Lucie, Fl
Question by luxio
I found a bannana tree dying on the beach. I took it and brought it home, and put it in some water. It was growing great. Then I planted it, now it's dying again. What should I do? I planted it in a pot, with great brand new organic soil. The bannana tree is about 10-15cm.

If it is struggling it may be that the roots were dehydrated when you found the plant. The water you placed it in may have temporarily met its needs but now that it is in soil, it's suffering from some transplant shock. I don't know if it will recover or not but I think it's worth a try to keep it going. Just keep the soil moist until it adjusts. The roots a plant develops in water are a little different than the roots it develops in soil. The same thing can happen when you take a cutting of a houseplant and root it in water - when it is taken from the water and placed in potting soil, the roots have to adjust. I'd just give it a little more time and hope it makes the transition. Best wishes with your banana tree!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"