non flowering hydragea - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasant HIlls, Pe
Question by rewesterbeck
I have a 15 year old hydragea in my back yard. It has stopped flowering. What can I do to bring back the blooms?

0

It might be that your hydrangea has reached the end of its lifespan. Hydrangeas bloom on new growth so pruning should encourage lots of new growth, and hopefully flowers. While you're waiting to see how it behaves this year, why not propagate the plant and start a new one - just in case yours is on its way out? Layering is a process that works well on hydrangeas. Find a stem (or several) that will reach the ground, plus a few inches more. Make a nick or shallow cut on the stem on the side that faces the ground, lay the stem on the ground and anchor it down. I use lengths of wire coathangers as staples but you can use a couple of stones to hold the stem down so it makes good contact with the soil. Once you've got the stems all anchored down, pile a little soil over the stem where you made the cut. The stems will root at the site of the injury and by the end of the summer should be well rooted and you can cut the stems from the mother plant and plant them or pot them up. Best wishes with your hydrangea!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"