Peach Trees & leaf curl from older trees - Knowledgebase Question

Elizabethtown, Pe
Question by n3ntj
I have two peach trees that I

0

The good news is that Elberta is considered disease resistant. The bad news is that resistant does not mean immune so you'll run some risk if you do not control the peach leaf curl in your other trees. Peach Leaf Curl can affect leaves, flowers, tender shoots and even fruit. Diseased leaves eventually fall off, but unaffected leaves will grow on normally. Once you see the problem it is too late to correct it for that season. Sanitary measures certainly can't hurt, so you may want to collect and discard fallen, affected leaves, and to prune twigs with the small, seldom noticed swellings caused by the infection. Infection occurs in spring when temperatures are around 68 degrees and surface moisture is present on the buds. Therefore the problem doesn't occur every year with the same severity. The lowest toxicity option for effective control is to apply a copper fungicide at the beginning of dormancy in the fall. Copper will cause the peach to defoliate so that is why we wait until the leaves begin to fall to apply it. Note that copper can stain masonry blue, so be careful in applying the spray if your tree is near a sidewalk, rock wall of your home, etc. Late this summer or in early fall try giving your two older trees a copper spray to see if you can control the peach leaf curl. Don't spray the Elberta trees, though. If the next spring you see the disease occuring again you can decide whether or not you want to remove the older trees.

Hope your trees respond well to the copper spray!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "