Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Overland Park, Ka
Question by wheatjo
When should I plant a tall, large evergreen tree and what kind should I plant in Kansas City?

Juniperus virginiana, or Eastern redcedar is Kansas' only native evergreen tree, it grows throughout the state. As a native, it will grow well in all soils. Its long life and dense, pyramidal form with persistent foliage makes it a desirable tree all year around. Eastern redcedar grows to a height of about 30 to 35 feet and the branches may spread 12 to 15 feet. A moderate rate of growth 1 to 1? feet per year is typical.

Ponderosa pine is the most drought and alkaline/salinity tolerant of the pines. It has the reputation of being susceptible to pine tip moth. However, the Ponderosa pine provided through the Kansas Conservation Tree Planting Program are grown from seed collected in north central Nebraska, which has been shown to be tolerant of the tip moth.

Austrian pine is drought tolerant and useful on most soils in Kansas. Our "improved" variety from Yugoslavian source is resistant to Dothistroma needle blight. It is the most adaptive pine species that we offer and can be planted on most sites except wet sites.

Hope one of these trees is just right for your landscape.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"