Lantana Patio Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Marble Falls, Te
Question by chitwood7
I bought a Lantana Patio Tree today at Home Depot/Marble Falls TX. No instructions were attached and they recommended I contact you for that information.
I am wondering if I can plant this directly in my yard in the sun instead of in a pot on my patio? Please advise any other directions for the care of this plant.

Unless your garden is consistenly frost free, you might take a chance if you plant your lantana in the ground instead of keeping it in a pot so you can move it to a protected area if frost threatens. Lantana will go through a frost and you can clip off the damaged leaves and stems but a lantana that has been trained into a tree can die way back and you might end up with just a bare stick. An alternative might be to plant it in the ground but stand ready to protect the trunk and topknot if frosty weather threatens. This can be as simple as wrapping the trunk with bubble wrap to insulate it or as involved as building a tent around it to protect it from top to bottom. Any protection you put on the plant will need to be removed before the sun shines or you'll risk baking the plant.

Lantanas grow best in full sunshine and while they appreciate a deep soaking, the soil should dry out slightly between waterings. You can trim your lantana to keep it in shape and to encourage lots of new flowering stems.

Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"