container veggies in Tropical South - Knowledgebase Question

N. Miami Beach, Fl
Question by livinglightj
Hey, this blog is great! I have a wonderfull self watering container(you pour the water at an opening at the bottom on the side) that measures 27in. long by 6 wide and in some spots is 6 1/2 in. deep ,other parts 5in. I was so excited about using it for peppers, but become discouraged when I read it is too shallow. What veggies can I grow in this in zone 9b/10 coastal south florida at this time?

Because of the shallow depth, you may be able to accommodate a single pepper plant (they have extensive root systems) or you can plant patio tomatoes, green onions or even herbs. In order to thrive, veggies need adequate root room so choose "baby" or dwarf type veggies such as eggplants or squash or tomatoes and grow only one or two plants in your self watering container. Enjoy your patio garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"