seed starter - Knowledgebase Question

Nekoosa, Wi
Question by denpegconnel
Hi I have a portable greenhouse(6x8)and have used it now 5 years.I have used Jiffy Mix for the starter soil, but the last couple of years it has not worked as well. Is there another commerical mix I could be using? I will be setting it up the end of April or so.

There are several brands of soiless seed starting mix available, or you can make your own by blending equal parts of perlite, vermiculite, and peat. Add 1/4 teaspoon of lime to each gallon of mix to neutralize the acidity of the peat. Or you can use straight milled sphagnum moss as a seed starter. I like to sow my seeds in the soilless mix and then lightly cover them with milled sphagnum moss, which is a natural fungicide. This helps keep damping off and other fungal diseases at bay. Best wishes with your seedlings!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"