Peonies Question - Knowledgebase Question

Roseville, Ca
Question by sfgrl515
Hello! I LOVE peonies and would like to grow them in my yard. I have limited space for planting and was wondering if I can plant them in pots? I would like to start with an already established plant, rather than seeds. If planting in a container is feasible, can you tell me which variety (if any) peonies would be best & which soil mix would be best? Any other advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

0

Herbaceous peonies are perennial plants which lose their foliage after the first frost of the season. In order to perform well, they need a pronounced period of cold weather. Herbaceous peonies generally do not grow well in mild winter climate areas such yours. Tree peonies, on the other hand, require less winter chill, and perform reliably well in the Sacramento area. You can grow a tree peony in a large container (about a half wine barrel sized container). Peonies dislike having their roots disturbed once they are established so that's why initial planting in a large container is a good idea. Fill your container with a mixture of 50/50 garden soil and some well-rotted manure or compost and mix in some high-phosphorus fertilizer before planting. Be sure to plant your peony at the same soil level as it was growing in the nursery pot. Water well after planting and supply one deep soaking each week during the spring and summer months, tapering off during the fall and winter. Remove spent flowers as they fade, and prune out any dead stems to keep your peony looking neat and trim. Enjoy your new peony!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"