Landscaping - Knowledgebase Question

philadelphia, Pe
Question by SHplaywright
I recently had some Yuccas removed from the front of my home. The soil contained sand and rocks. I now wish to plant a tree along with a bed of perennials. Due to the removal of the Yuccas the rocks are now mix into the soil. Is it ok to remove alot of the old soil and replace it with new soil. If so, what type of soil do I use and how soon do I replace it before planting? Please help?

0

I have nothing against sandy, rocky soil for plants that need good drainage, but most garden perennials will appreciate a soil with a finer texture and some organic matter! If the area looks as though it will only support cacti, I'd dig out most of it and replace it with topsoil (sold in bags) or 3-way soil that you can have delivered. Three way soil is garden soil, sand and compost. Depending upon the size of the hole and the size of the proposed flower bed, you might just be able to purchase bags of both topsoil and compost and mix them together yourself before placing them in the hole. Best wishes with your new garden bed.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"