compost bugs? - Knowledgebase Question

Glendale, Ar
Question by cdsjedi
My compost pile has tons and tons of little balck gnat-looking bugs. Is that bad? Do I want them there? I'm not sure if my pile need more or less of something to help this, if help is needed.

Sounds like a population of fungus gnats. These little guys feed and breed in moist organic matter. They're not a problem unless they hitchhike into your home and try to live in houseplant soil. They can be quite annoying if they do! You can discourage them from breeding in your compost pile by turning the pile often to redistribute the organic matter and help it cook (heat up). If the pile is hot enough, the gnats will go away. Warmer weather will also help the surface of the pile dry out a bit and it won't be quite so attractive to the gnats.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"