Full Sun Flowering plants - Knowledgebase Question

Smithville, Mi
Question by ritadarlene1
My front garden gets full exposed hot afternoon sun. I want color all year round & would like to plant once if possible. Also how do you plant around tulip bulbs without harming the bulbs?

You can plant around your tulip bulbs, as long as you know where they are. I'd go out and place a bamboo stick or an ice cream stick in the ground near the tulip. Then, when the foliage dies down and you remove it from the garden, you'll still know where the bulbs are planted. Then when you plant your perennials you can avoid digging up your tulips.

Coreopsis "Moonbeam," "Zagreb," "Early Sunrise"

Coreopsis gives you huge bang for your buck in the garden. They are prolific bloomers that need little more than regular deadheading to be happy. Place them in full sun and average soil. In fact, they don't like soil that is too fertile, as they will become floppy over time. Coreopsis should be divided every three years or so to keep them vigorous.

Daylily (Hemerocallis) "Stella D'Oro," "Pardon Me," and any variety with "Returns" in the name. Certain varieties of daylily are longer bloomers than others. The common orange daylily that you see everywhere, while beautiful, is not the best choice if you want continuous color. Choose one of the above varieties, and give it average soil in a location with full sun to part shade. Remove the spent flowers and stalks to keep the plant looking tidy.

Lavender (Lavandula) "Hidcote," "Munstead," "Grosso". Put these beauties in full sun, in soil that stays relatively dry. After they bloom, cut the flower stalks off (save them, either for potpourri, sachets, or dried arrangements.

Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia) "Goldsturm," "Goldilocks," "Indian Summer"

Rudbeckia are everything a plant should be: cheerful, drought-tolerant, and care free. Besides all that, if you leave the seed heads on after the flowers fade, you will have winter interest as well. Plant Rudbeckia in full sun.

Hope these suggestions help.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"