Cutting down plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Valparaiso, In
Question by KKormendy122
My husband and I moved into r new home 3 yrs ago. We have started several flower beds. My first questions is how do we know which plants should be cut down in spring and fall to help them grow best. We really dont know which flowers grow back from the roots and which ones grow on the old stems or wood. I have all the planter instructions but they dont cover this.

0

This is one instance in which experience will have to guide you. If the plants die down to ground level in the winter months you can safely cut away the dead foliage. If they remained green all winter long, wait until after they bloom and cut them back if they have become overgrown. Knowing the names of your various plants will help with care and pruning requirements so if you don't know what you've planted, wait until they flower and then clip off a flower and take it to your local garden center or master gardener clinic for help with identification. Label each plant when you determine its identity. You can look the plants up in books or on the internet to find out when they should be pruned or divided. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"