pruning martha washington geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

huntington beach, Ca
Question by mshep1
you said i should prune to to force blooms. When do I prune and how? thanks.

Depending upon the size of your plant, you can either just pinch the growing tips of each stem, or if it is very large (and leggy) you can cut the stems back by a third or a half. I remember you said the foliage looked really healthy. I'm picturing a mound of green leaves. If so, simply cut or pinch out the very tips of each stem. This will force growth behind the tip and also make the branch develop two new sprouts, each of which will turn into a new (and hopefully flowering) stem. Pinching and pruning will at the very least help your geranium become full and bushy and at the very most encourage lots of flowers. Be sure your plant gets lots of sunshine. Sun helps promote flowering, as well. And, hold off on the fertilizer. Geraniums bloom best in lean, slightly dry soils. Best wishes with your geraniums!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"