My seedlings keep dying. - Knowledgebase Question

Winder, Ge
Question by zuperman_74
I have planted tomatoes as seeds. They sprouted nicely. They became about 2-3 inches tall. I started them in a mini greenhouse with the peats you water and swell. I have more started now but the time is comming where it will be too late. How much light should they get? How much water? My neighbor looked at them and said it appears to be too much water. They just kind of withered and died

Sounds like damping off, the most common problem with seedlings. It happens when the soil remains too wet and the air circulation is poor. To help avoid this you can water your seedlings from the bottom of the tray. When the pots are saturated, pour out the excess water from the tray. Don't water again until the outsides of the peat pots turn a lighter color. Put a little fan in the area to keep the air moving around your seedlings. Your fluorescent lights should be kept on 16 hours a day and kept about 2" from the tops of the seedlings. Move the lights up as the seedlings grow. Hope this information helps you grow healthy new seedlings.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"