crape myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Hubert, No
Question by lemartin777
I am a beginner in gardening, so i have no clue about any plants or trees. i know crape myrtles are so pretty and comes back every year. I planted in the spring of 08, (it was nicely bloomed) i followed the instruction. I had to go away for about 6 months for emergency pregnancy. When i got back in April of 09. It hasn't grown since. How can i tell if the tree is completely dead?

If the tree is leafing out and flowering, it's okay. If it is bare of leaves try scraping the bark off a few of the branches with your fingernail. If you see green tissue beneath the bark, that branch is still alive. If it's brown, it's dead. Sometimes pruning a crape myrtle back a little will encourage new growth. If you find green tissue in the branches, prune them back a little. I hope you find a hint of green. If not, the tree is dead and should be replaced. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"