mandevilla - Knowledgebase Question

lafayette, Ge
Question by judywaters
Does this shrub come back yearly and if so, when can i expect to see activity. I was told by the person that at home depot that it would, however later I talked with another saleperson and was told it would not come back yearly. I just thought that it should since it cost almost $30.00. Thanks

Mandevilla is a tropical plant and is outdoor hardy in zones 9-11. In your region it may need to be protected over the winter months or taken into a frost free area when the temperatures begin to cool down to about 45F. For this reason I would recommend growing it in a container rather than planting it in the ground. This way you can take it indoors and grow it as a houseplant in the winter or you can over-winter your mandevilla in a dormant stage in a garage or cool basement with temperatures around 45-55F. Cut it back to about 12 inches above the soil line after moving it indoors or into a garage or basement. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"