Leggy verbena and petunias - Knowledgebase Question

Thornwood, Ne
Question by bennie35gray
I love the beautiful shades of verbena each spring but no matter what I do they do not flower well after awhile in containers. Same problem with petunias. They are in full to partial sun; I deadhead them regularly and fertilize them every few weeks with Mir-Gro but they still don't bloom as profusely as when I purchase them. What more can I do? I live in southern NY.

0

Full sunshine will produce more flowers from your verbena and petunias. Since they both bloom on new growth you'll want to pinch them back regularly to encourage new growth. Cut the verbena back by a few inches every few weeks. I just use scissors and cut some of the stems back one week and in two weeks cut the other stems I didn't cut before. Each time you cut the stem back two new stems will grow (and flower). Same with petunias. When you pinch or cut off a spent flower, cut back the stem by a few inches and two new flowering stems will develop behind the cut. This will keep your plants bushy and full of flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"