lawn - Knowledgebase Question

west covina, Ca
Question by weimeichen
I live at L.A. My law started to trun into yellow since last fall. There are some green grasses coming up now, but still a lot of yellow, no matter how i water it. I did fertilized the law, but it does improve.

I think you may have a warm season grass. Bermuda, St. Augustine, Centipede, etc. are warm season grasses popular in your area. They need summer heat in order to green up and in the fall they go dormant. I'll bet your lawn greens up in a few weeks. To keep it green all year around you can overseed with a cool season grass in October. Perennial ryegrass grows best in cool weather and will remain green all winter long, dying out in the spring, just as your warm season turfgrass begins to green up. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"