shrub disease - Knowledgebase Question

Havertown, Pe
Question by ehabdas
I have a Japanese Euonymus and the leaves are loosing color and falling. On the bottom side of the leaves there are white larvae looking like small pieces of rice. On the branches these rice looking like things are also present. Also, there are some black residue covering the branches.

What you describe sounds like scale insects. The adults have a hard coating and are difficult to control but the tiny little crawlers are susceptible to sprays of insecticidal soap. The black coating on the leaves is residue from the scales feeding. Once you control the scales, the black sooty mold will weather away. I'm not sure you can control the scale insects if your euonymus is completely covered with the pests. It will take repeat applications of insecticidal soap and you'll need to spray the upper and lower parts of the leaves plus all the stems and branches. It might be better just to remove and replace the plant. Wish I had more encouraging news.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"