BEST SOIL - Knowledgebase Question

MILFORD, Mi
Question by KAJ955
I'M GARDENING FOR THE FIRST TIME. I AM MAKING RAISED GARDEN BEDS AND I NEED TO KNOW THE BEST MIXTURE FOR GARDEN SOIL. ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED THANK YOU.

0

You can import top soil (either in bulk or bagged) and mix compost into it, or you can use your garden soil and mix some compost or other organic matter to make a rich garden loam. It takes a few years to improve garden soil but it's relatively easy to do. Start by filling the raised bed with garden or top soil and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"