How do I keep my lawn nice and green? - Knowledgebase Question

RALEIGH, No
Question by Nferman2006
I'm from North Carolina,like two weeks I went to home depot and ask someone from there to help me that I neede some fertilizer for my grass,he gave me lime,pre-emergent and fertilizer and told me to put the lime and pre-emergent together then like two days the fertilizer.Now my lawn looks betwween greenish,yellowish and burn.Now I went back and told a different person about the grass,he told me to

0

Let's see if we can clarify things for you. Both warm and cool season grasses are traditionally planted in North Carolina. Cool season grasses do best from about October through March; warm season grasses usually green up in April and remain green until the weather cools in September or October. At that time they go dormant, but the cool season grasses begin to green up again. With a combination of cool and warm season grasses, your lawn should remain green for most of the year. The soils in North Carolina are generally acidic so an application of lime every couple of years will help mellow the soil and make the pH a little more neutral, which should help green up your lawn. Pre emergent herbicides should be applied in very early spring, before weed seeds begin to germinate. Pre emergents will help keep your lawn weed free. Fertilizer should be applied when the grass begins to green up in the spring. The usual chain of events is to apply lime in the fall, apply a pre emergent in the early spring and to fertilize in late spring after the lawn has begun to green up. If you apply these products at the rates recommended on the package, they won't burn your lawn. So I suspect that your lawn is not burned but that the cool season grasses are beginning to go dormant and the warm season grasses have not yet begun to green up. Warm weather and regular watering should help it green up. You can overseed your lawn if you rake out the dead grass first. The seeds need to be able to make good contact with the soil in order to sprout and take root. Overseeding will help it green up quickly. As for general maintenance, we usually recommend you feed your lawn in April, June, September and late November with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK. Water it regularly and mow when it puts on an inch of new growth. If you mow often enough to remove only one third of the grass blades each time you mow, the grass won't get scalped and will grow nice and thick. Hope this information helps. For more in-depth information you might want to download the following home lawns publication from the North Carolina State University: http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/...

It's loaded with helpful hints. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"