Watering Redwood Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Rancho Murieta, Ca
Question by pdsm24
We have numerous 15 year old Redwood Trees on drip lines for watering. We were told established Redwoods seek their own water elsewhere. Can we stop the drip watering without problems? We live in Sacramento, California. Thank you

Redwood is one of the thirstiest of trees - not only when young but all their lives. In their native coastal region, they survive on the 25 to 100 inches of winter rainfall, but your area gets less than that so I wouldn't recommend turning off the drip system. Even if planted near a lawn which is regularly watered, your trees will need their own water source. Your summers are rather warm and lack of water will stress your trees so I'd suggest continuing to water your redwood trees as you have in the past.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"