Oak Leaf Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Ada, Mi
Question by jjriemersma
I have a couple of very large oak leaf hydrangea (West Michigan). I'm positive pruning in spring is the right time, but what/how to prune?

Oak leaf hydrangeas bloom on both old and new growth so you can safely prune yours back without forfeiting flowering for the year. If the shrubs are very large you might want to reduce their size by pruning them back by one third now and one third next year. Or, if you don't mind them taking two season to fill out again, you can prune them back by two thirds now. The new growth will flower later in the summer. Start by reaching inside the plant and completely removing any old stems. Then reduce the height of the remaining ones. The result should be an open, more compact plant. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"