Groundcovers - Knowledgebase Question

Henderson, NV
Question by kirkvanek
I have a big slope behind my house in Las Vegas that I need to put ground cover on to hold the hill back during heavy rains. Do you have any reccomendations? Some of the hill is very wet. I would like something that is fast growing and can take the heat. Anything with fragerance is an added bonus.

0

Erosion control is sometimes a difficult proposition. There are several groundcovers that might suit your purpose, but dealing with desert air plus wet feet will be hard for even the toughest of plants. Ajuga, Rockcress, Manzanita and Carex (New Zealand Hair Sedge) are first choices. Ice plant, Wild Buckwheat, Acacia redolens, and Gazania would also grow well once established. Why not check around and see what other plants are growing in your area? Perhaps you'll see something you like even better than the above suggestions.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"