Blueberries - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, Io
Question by dennisroling
I bought blueberries plant from homedepot. That was mid March and I see I can not plant them until mid april, last frost date. What should I do with them. They don't look to hot. I am watering them and putting them outside during the day and taking them in during the night. I did leave them in the shed a couple of nights, not heated. I took the top off the carton they are in. what next.

If your plants have begun to grow, which I suspect they have because you've taken them indoors where it is warm, the kindest thing to do is plant them outdoors. They can take the cold weather but won't begin to grow until things warm up a bit. If the ground is frozen and you can't plant them, pot them up in peat moss or potting soil and set them outdoors in a protected place (such as next to your house or shed, under the eaves). If snow or icy weather threatens, cover the plants with an insulating blanket or an old sheet. Once the weather warms up you can plant them in the ground. If new growth is damaged by the weather you can prune it off. Best wishes with your blueberries.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"