Italian Cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Pembroke Pines, Fl
Question by bbdavison
What is the best way to treat my Italian Cypress trees that are turning brown?

It is difficult to diagnose a plant problem without being able to inspect the plant! Italian cypresses are susceptible to spider mites and their feeding can cause browning of the foliage. The best way to deter these pests is to hose the plant off periodically with water from the hose. Since spider mites like dry, dusty places, they will leave if you hose off the dust. Aside from spider mites, Italian cypresses are sensitive to soil moisture. Soils that are too wet or too dry can also cause browning. The soil needs to drain well, but the trees need to be watered on a regular basis. At this point I can only suggest you water deeply and a day or two later dig down near the roots to make sure the soil is moist 2" below the surface. If not, you are not watering deeply enough. If it is moist, you won't need to water for a few more days. Best wishes with your Italian cypresses!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"