irises - Knowledgebase Question

Port Huron, Mi
Question by frszcze
I have an iris bed and it look scruffy with the roots showing. Iwould like to know what I can plant with them that would nloom at a later time. Thanks Frances

You can choose any plant you like with the same growing requirements as your irises. Many gardeners choose to plant perennials among their irises that flower at the same time. Peonies (Paeonia), pinks (Dianthus), columbines (Aquilegia), Oriental poppies (Papaver) and Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum) are examples of classic companions. Creeping phlox (Phlox subulata) makes a lovely ground cover companion at the base of iris, so that might be a consideration. You probably already know that irises should be dug and divided every 4-5 years. When they become overcrowded they fail to bloom. I'd suggest digging and dividing yours this year and before planting them, amend the soil with some organic matter. Then replant your irises and add your companion plants. You'll have a spectacular garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"