fertilizing fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by Catholicgirl
I have two apple and two pear trees that have not produced fruit, they are young only 4 years old if that. What can I use to help their growth and production?

Your trees are old enough to flower and develop fruit. Are they flowering? If so, are they developing fruit that drops to the ground when only an inch in diameter? All apple and some pear trees need need a second, different variety for cross pollination. If the above description applies, your trees need companions. If your trees are not flowering at all, perhaps they are not getting the all day sunshine they require, or perhaps they are being subjected to late frosts that kill the flower buds. You can try feeding, but as long as your trees are otherwise healthy, fertilizer won't change their behavior. Late frosts and/or the need for cross pollination are the causes for lack of fruit.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"