Why are my 2 1/2 parsley seedlings drooping over? - Knowledgebase Question

Wayne, Ne
Question by talabee
I don't know why my seedlings are drooping over. They are about two and a half inches long. I don't see the point of transplanting them into bigger pots because of they are drooping into the soil. What am I doing wrong?

There are only 3 common reasons for your seedlings to droop: over watering, lack of sufficient light and damping off which is a fungal disease. The potting soil should be moist but not soggy wet. Too much water can actually suffocate the roots and make the stems collapse. Seedlings need a source of bright light. Fluorescent lights are the best source of supplemental light and the light source should be kept only about 2" above the tops of the seedlings. Without sufficient light the seedlings can get leggy as they reach for the light, and then fall over because the stems are too weak to hold them up. Damping off is a fungus that can attack seedlings. Too much moisture and poor air circulation are usually the culprits. I hope your seedling recover!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"