ficus indian laurel - Knowledgebase Question

salton city, Ca
Question by devilspharma
i just purchase at the nursery 5 ficus indian laurel i would like to cover one side of my house wall since it gets really hot on the summer. my question is how close to the house i should plant it and how far apart i was told 3 feet apart from the wall is this right

Ficus (Indian laurel) has the potential to grow about 30' wide so planting them only 3' from your wall will cause problems in the future. While you can prune these plants back to keep them under control, you'll need some space between the plants and the house or wall in order to get behind them and do some pruning. Even if they are small now and look non-aggressive, they are fast growing so I know they will fill the space rapidly. Plant them 6 feet from your house or wll, both to give them room to grow and for you to get behind and prune them, but also to allow for good air circulation so they stay healthy and the side of your house or wall doesn't develop mold or mildew. Good luck with your plants.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"