Mexican Bush Sage - Knowledgebase Question

Clayton, No
Question by jessmarroyo
I have two Mexican Bush Sage plants. I cut them back in early winter (just the tops) Now the branches seem dried out and dead. It was a very cold winter, and I'm afraid that they didn't make it. When should they be coming back, and how can I tell if they're dead?

Thanks!

0

Mexican bush sage is a bushy evergreen subshrub in frost free climes, and a returning perennial where it gets frosted back in winter. These plants like warm weather so you may just need to wait another 2-3 weeks for them to begin to grow. If you're not sure whether the branches and stems are still alive, try snapping one of them in half. Or scrape your fingernail along the bark. If the branch is alive you'll see green tissue just beneath the bark. If the tissue is brown, that part of the branch is dead. You can either test and prune back the branches as needed or you can wait until you see new growth in the spring and prune away anything that is not sprouting new leaves or stems. Best wishes with your Mexican Sage.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"