Shade front yard - Knowledgebase Question

Johnstown, Pe
Question by kamtimberwol
My front yard has almost no plants in it due to too much shade. What plants can I put in a wooden oblong planter there?

There are a number of groundcovers, perennials and shrubs that will adapt to growing in the shade. Brunfelsia pauciflora is a shrub with clusters of violet flowers with yellow centers. Camellia's - many varieties - love shade and come in lots of colors. Daphne odora (Winter daphne) has tiny fragrant blooms in December and January. Groundcovers include Pachysandra (yellow flowers), Trachelospermum (Star Jasmine) with fragrant white flowers, and Vinca minor (Periwinkle) that blooms abundantly from spring through fall. Colors are either white or purple. Campanula in shades of blue, purple, white or pink, impatiens (same color choices), lobelia, fuchsia, saxifraga, Asian lilies, and pansies will all flower in the shade. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"