Fruit flies around comost bins - Knowledgebase Question

Gilbert, Ar
Question by r3azritters
I have 2 compost bins that have been provided by the city. I place all my produce scraps, some lawn clippings and dirt inside. I have noticed a huge amount of fruit flies (I think that is what they are) inside and all around the bins. I have even noticed that they seem to be hovering around any fruit I have inside the house. Any suggestions on controling these bugs?

0

Fruit flies and fungus gnats are the most common flying insects found in and around compost bins. These insects are not dangerous or harmful; however, their presence can be a nuisance, particularly if they find their ways indoors. Both are attracted to decaying organic matter so the easiest way to control them around your compost bin is to increase the ratio of carbon materials to food scraps. Add enough high carbon materials, such as brown leaves, shredded paper or cardboard, until this material comprises at least 50 percent of the total material in the compost bin. Try to keep about 12 inches of high carbon material on the surface of your pile, under which the food scraps are buried. This should control the pests.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"