COLUMBINE SEEDS - Knowledgebase Question

MONETTE, Ar
Question by zboys612
I LIVE IN N.E. ARKANSAS, AND A FRIEND GAVE ME SOME RED AND BLUE COLUMBINE SEEDS, AND LUPINE SEEDS, AND I DON'T KNOW WHEN OR WHERE TO PLANT THEM. IN SUN OR SHADE? WHEN DO THEY BLOOM? THANKS TERRI

0

Both columbine and lupine grow best in full sunshine. Morning sun and afternoon shade will suit columbine if that's all your garden can offer, but lupine really needs full sunshine. Columbine seeds need light to germinate. Sow them on the top of the soil and press them in with the palm of your hand. They need to be anchored in the soil so they don't float around when the area is watered. Essentially, some soil will end up covering the seeds, but they won't be deeply buried. Covering your seed with 1/4 inch of soil won't stop them from germinating, and will help the plants get a foothold when they begin sending roots down into the soil. Lupine seeds need to be planted about a half inch deep. Plant both now, in early spring. Lupines flower in summer, columbine a few weeks earlier. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"