Seeding - Knowledgebase Question

alexandria, Vi
Question by alpiacen
Hi,

Is it too late to start seeding herbs and vegetables indoors? What plants work best for indoors and what plant light and bulb do you recommend? (I live in Alexandria va)

0

You can start vegetables and herbs indoors 4-6 weeks prior to your last frost date. I'd start them indoors now with the expectation of planting them out in early to mid-May. You can start all veggies indoors but I'd shy away from starting carrots and corn because they are hard to transplant into the garden. I have better success planting these directly outdoors in the garden after the soil warms up. Regular shop lights with two fluorescent bulbs, a hood and adjustable chains are really efficient for seedlings and are relatively inexpensive. Once the seeds have sprouted set your pots or trays of seedlings beneath the lights, keeping the bulbs 1-2" above the tops of the plants and moving the lights up as the seedlings grow. Keep the lights on 14-16 hours per day. Good luck with your seed starting!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"